Theme Months

9.24.2012

(for a complete list of our theme month projects, click here.)

_MG_0184

I couldn't sleep last night. I was busy planning the contents of Isaiah's new "mystery box."

Let me back up...

When Michael and I first started talking about me staying at home with Isaiah, I wanted to be very upfront about our expectations.

I remember saying "Now let's be clear. I'm not coming home to sit around and eat bon bons. I'm leaving one difficult and demanding job, to begin a new difficult and demanding job. And what are bon bons anyways?"

I can't wait to start my new gig. Isaiah and I are going to be exploring, learning, and growing. Together. What could be better than that?


I have a few tricks up my sleeves, and one of them I'm particularly excited about.

Theme Months.

Each month we're going to learn about a different theme. And we're kicking off October with Animals.

Every week in October, we'll have a different art project, activity, library book, and food that teaches us all about Animals. And each month will end with a special theme outing. I'll let you guess October's outing. ;)

So, back to the mystery box. At the beginning of each month, I'll fill the box with hints of our new theme, and leave it for Isaiah to discover when he wakes up.

I really love the idea of theme months. Because not only does it give us a foundation for learning, but it also allows other family members to get involved. When Isaiah is with Daddy, or Grandma and Grandpa, they can all get into the monthly theme...it's as simple as pointing out animals on walks, or billboards, etc.

We're kicking off our first theme month next Monday. Can't wait to report back...


7 comments:

Amy said...

Great idea! Can we get a sneak peak into the box, please next week? Can't wait to follow along with your theme months!

Michael Aars said...

Um, I noticed you planned a Bon Bon month. So I'm on to you.

Alli Aars {You have your blog, we have Aars} said...

Will do, Amy! I'm getting more excited by the day! Can't wait to share it all...

And Michael, how else was I supposed to find out what bon bons actually are?

Katie said...

That is pretty awesome. I've been thinking of introducing letters to Doug more formally, and I like the idea of a theme box. I'm thinking 2 weeks with the same letter theme could be fun! I hear the craft store calling me! Jeff will not thank you for that!

Also, a word about bon bons, if you have them, Isaiah will find them, no matter where they're hidden.

Alli Aars {You have your blog, we have Aars} said...

You'll have to tell me what you got at the store, Katie! We can compare notes! :)

Maria M. said...

Happened upon your blog through Pinterest and came across your mystery box. Love the idea and was wondering where did you get the blue suitcase? Thanks, Maria

Alli Aars {You have your blog, we have Aars} said...

Sure, Maria...I actually got it at Ikea. It works great because it folds flat when not in use. I love it. :)

Post a Comment